Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A typical day that turned out not so typical...

Another ordinary day, running errands and grabbing the latest bargains for my family when a chance encounter made me stop and reevaluate what is really important.

I spotted a woman with two small children trying to decide what to buy. Since I am always on the lookout to share my coupons I approached her to offer some extra ones I had when she told me her story.

A few days earlier, she took her children, fled her abusive husband and sought help at a local woman's shelter. As not to arouse her husbands suspicions she left the house carrying nothing more than a small diaper bag that she normally used to take with her when she dropped the kids off at daycare before going to work.

While she was extremely thankful that she was given emergency shelter and food, she was embarrassed that she unexpectedly needed to ask for feminine hygiene products.

She was given a small Ziploc bag filled with eight pads and told that next month she would be provided with eight more.

Needless to say I was speechless...imagine this woman who was brave enough to leave an abusive situation and ask for help for herself and children felt embarrassed by having to ask for feminine products.

I was determined to come home and write a check right away to a local shelter. Something kept stopping me. How was the money I donating going to be spent? How were these agencies going to get the most for their money? Did they know all the great deals they could get using coupons?

I spent the next few days researching local shelters and their needs. What I found has led me to create this blog.

I have found places that offer emergency shelter, food and clothing there are many things we use everyday are often overlooked.

Why did she share this story to me a complete stranger? I am not sure.

I am sure that she has inspired me to try and make a difference.

Instead of writing a check, I decided to take the money and purchase items on my own to donate.

I am starting with the $100.00 that I was going to donate to the shelter. With this money, I am hoping to create "Bags of Hope" for the local woman's shelter.

My goal is to provide a bags filled with small toiletry items such as shampoo, toothbrushes & toothpaste, deodorant, combs and other small items that would go a long way to make a person feel more human in a what can be a dehumanizing process.

Why create this blog you ask?

This is the number one by way of keeping myself accountable to my goal. It is also a way to ask others to join me.

I am not asking for money but a few moments of your time.

I will teach you how to use coupons to get things at little to no cost to you while asking for you to donate any unused coupons to my cause. Obviously, the more coupons I have the more items I can provide.

Any coupons received will be used solely for the purposes of buying items for the shelter. Coupons that are expired or not used will be sent in bulk to United States military families that are stationed throughout the world. Soldiers and their families can use coupons for up to six months after their expiration date.

Please join me in my quest to make a difference.

Cheryl
Coupons for Change

No comments:

Post a Comment