Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 21, 2010

Frugal versus Cheap.

I get this question a lot from people, do I consider myself to be cheap?

No, I do not...I consider myself to be frugal.

To me someone who is cheap is unwilling to spend money on something, regardless of their needs and/or desires.

Being frugal to me is scoping out the best deal possible to buy what you need or want in order to be able to buy more things that you need or want.

This does not mean to me doing without.. it is taking the time to educate yourself about all the different ways to save money.

People also ask me, do you ever pay full retail price for anything?

At first, I shuddered at the thought.

I almost never pay retail for things, but for example, both my kids came down with a fever a few nights ago and due to the Motrin/Tylenol recall it was in limited supply.

Being cheap to me would have been to let them do without or buy the most inexpensive OTC there was.

The frugal part of me checked the OTC medications we had at home first, then I went to the drugstore and bought only the OTC medication that we needed until the recall is done and then there should be some great deals on Tylenol and Motrin.

Cheap...NO
Frugal ...Yes

Pay retail for things..almost never...that was until my husband brought home two things of shampoo, I couldn't even bear to look at the receipt.

Cheap...maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment