Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 2, 2010

Bags of Hope - Understanding the homeless

I have spent a lot of time thinking and researching about the homeless and what items I should place in the bags.

I try to think if I were homeless what would be important to me - but upon researching more about it there seems to be such a need that it can seem overwhelming.

Here are the things that I can realistically buy and put in the bags, these bags are for women:
  • Soap
  • Soap Holder
  • Toothpaste
  • Toothbrush
  • Toothbrush Holder
  • Feminine Hygiene Items
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • Brush/Comb
  • Nail Files
  • Gum/Mints
  • Razors
  • Shaving Cream
  • Qtips
  • Lip Care

Items that I would love to put in the bags but don't have any resources for:
  • Washcloth
  • Towel
  • Underwear
  • Socks
  • BBulleted Listras
  • Sunscreen
  • Weater blanket keeps them cool in the summer/warm in the winter

The bags I am getting are great but I am also thinking of using backpack because of the durablility and theirability to hold mare things.

The more I research the subject of homelessness, the more I find need.

Many homeless can not find a job because they have no address, so they can not apply for a job or other benefits because there is no where to send the benefits.

Many things seem to be a catch 22 - many homeless work, therefore they can not get in line or the few beds at the shelters because they are working. Also, due to to lengthy check in and out procedures they can not afford the time to be late or leave work early.

Other factors that affect the homeless is that many shelter are set up for only women or women with small children or men. Women who have children who are boys that are a certain age need to be separated because they wont allow boys of a certain age to be in those shelters.

I can not imagine being able to take one of my children and have the other try to navigate a men's shelter at the tender age of twelve.

That is why many families decide to stick together, sleeping outside in the woods, in cars or on the street.

Many shelters also have no handicap access ability for wheelchairs and won;t allow people to being in walking devices such as canes.

Many people who have medical conditions are dependent upon one of their family members for care and to be separated from them is unthinkable - so they too stay on the streets, in cars or outside in the woods.

There has got to be a place where families no matter what can stay together.

I do realize that these shelters do the best they can but thee has to be a way that families can stay together.

My dream would be to open a shelter to help families that are homeless until they can get into there own independent living. These people would have jobs, the kids would attend school. There would be a security system in place. No drugs or alcohol would be permitted as no violence of any kind.

Can you imagine a safe place where you could be with your family, bath, clean your clothes, have an address so you could recieve benefits, and not have to worry about the few possession being stolen, or having to leave work early or put your job in jeopardy because you have to wait in line to get a bed.

There seems to be no easy fix, but it does seem that many of the agencies that are providing services do not have any way to coordinate their services to maximizes the potential for these families.

These families need a safe place to stay at night, a place to bath so they can be presentable to go to work, a mailing address so they can receive benefits, a place to wash their clothes and someway to access transpportation to get to various agencies and work.

Giing these Bags of Hope may seem a very small gesture but it is a place to start.

Thanks for all the positive feedback and for all those that have donated coupons I really appreciate it.

If you can think of any other otems that you think would be useful that I could include, please email nme.

If you have any ideas of where I could obtain some of the other items I would like to include please let me know.

My supportive husband thinks I should apply for a grant but that seems a bit overwhelming right now - but it is in the back of my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment